If you’re like me the way you present yourself is very important to you. Now in days an outfit is an extension of how the world views you and, looking presentable can make a big difference in how your treated. That's why having personal style is very important. A sense of style is an expression of who you are, and is sort of like making love with cloths. Which means it should only come naturally, sort of like an instinct even. Some people say you are born with style, but I firmly believe that style is something we all have.
Style is personal. There is no herd to follow. Many of the most stylish women in the world have not been great beauties, but dared to be themselves - think Lady Gaga with her McQueen outfits or Sara Jessica Parker and her Sex & The City style. All this sounds great in theory, but finding your own style can be a daunting prospect. This is why I've come up with some tips to help you sort it all out.
Here are some examples of different popular styles:
Preppy: Friendly & Polished
Messaging: Through this style, you’re communicating a friendliness, energetic, natural, casual, happy, and optimistic message. Typically people who are preppy utilize clean lines, and more often then not wear a tie or bowtie.
Easily recognizable elements of the Prep (not to be confused with athletic wear) are:
- All American look with functionality, semi-structured characteristics in neutral colors, pastel colors, fitted pieces, and a variety of ties.
- Brands that exemplify sporty are: Polo, J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, ASOS, Top Man, Brave Soul, Levi, and IZOD.
- Suggestions of what would work accessory wise for this style would be: bowties, lapel pins, tie bars, cuff links, pocket watches, bracelet stacks with short sleeves, and suspenders.
Punk: Edgy & Casual
Messaging: With the Punk style, you are communicating a mixture of other subcultures and art movements, including glam rock, skinheads, rude boys, greasers, and mods have influenced punk fashion. Punk fashion has likewise influenced the styles of these groups, as well as those of popular culture. Many punks use clothing as a way of making a statement, and expressing their individual views. Punk is not for everyone, but when pulled off can look amazing.
Easily recognizable elements of Punk are:
- Suits are a definite key element and clothing is simple and exceptionally-made, but usually have an element of wear and tear. Cloths in the punk style are usually fitted, and are seen in wide variety of colors. A misconception is that all punks wear monochrome colors such as black. In reality graphic tees are a big influence in punk fashion, and even suits play a big role.
- Brands that exemplify Elegant style are: Betsy Johnson, Vivienne Westwood, John Varvatos, PolyPop, Patricia Fields, and Alexander Wang.
Bohemian: Laidback and Chic
Messaging: This style is captivating and sensual, flirtatious, seductive, and relaxed all at the same time. Bohemian fashion style has all the funky elements and the exotic zing of fashion – creating a rich cocktail of casual, hippie, 70s style, and ethnic along with vintage flare.
Easily recognizable elements of Boho are:
- Rather than tight pieces, bohemian dressers opt for baggy, comfortable clothing made from natural fibers. This may be by way of loose peasant blouses; wide boat-neck shirts; maxi dresses; caftans; jumpsuits; or boho skirts, which are also known as hippie or Gypsy skirts. Garments are usually flared and available in a variety of colors and patterns, although ethic patterns are most common. African patterns are also common within this style. Being comfortable albeit male or female.
- Although not always as identifiable as women's clothing, bohemian fashion for men includes many of the same influences. Layering is important, and an outfit may include a pair of loose slacks or faded jeans topped with a T-shirt, button down, or sweater — or some combination of these — and a knit scarf and a variety of textured vests. Hats and jewelry, including bracelets and rings, complete the look.
- Brands that exemplify boho are: H&M, Topshop, Lord & Taylor, and Karlie Kloss.
Couture: Fashionable and One of a kind
Messaging: Dramatic dress is perceived confident and self-assured, assertive, bold, urban, powerful, fashion-forward, and have an intense attractiveness about them. They have a commanding presence and are easily intimidating, charismatic and unapologetic in their dress. More often, they populate the fields of entertainment, fashion, marketing, art, media, consulting, PR, etc., and some are even glamorous socialites.
Easily recognizable elements of Dramatic Style are:
- Non-classic style but with some structured shape, exaggerated lines and silhouettes, colors are the darkest darks and lightest lights, saturated color with high-contrast combinations (black and white). The majority of the of couture clothing is home to a select few women around the world. Garments are often large scaled and make “statements.” Additionally they
- Brands that exemplify Dramatic Style are: Karl Lagerfeld, Christian Dior, Chanel, and Gucci.
What style are you rocking?
Peace & Style